I love water boatman and backswimmer action. Yesterday was a great example. Karen and I were fishing the "edges' until the boatman activity heated up and it did. Karen caught some decent trout along the edges in three feet of water with her trusty Tokaryk Special 2.0 and finally stripping water boatmen and backswimmers got the attention of the trout!
All the throat samples told us to tie on boatman type flies and small ones. I set up with a three fly rig. A Rinse and Repeat (backswimmer) and two size 14 flashbacks (Boatmen). I rigged up a hover line. I made a cast and counted down to figure out depth (I settled at 15). Then I stripped back with short erratic strips. The takes were hard. The interesting thing was the number of hooks ups on the drop while counting to 15. After I caught 6 plus fish, Karen switched to an intermediate line with the same set up. She hooked up a lot as well. Karen counted down to 7 (her line sank faster than mine). The flurry of activity lasted about 90 minutes. It was awesome too! The action slowed around 3 pm. We still caught trout but it was way slower.
You have to be careful when this action happens. We both caught fish while dealing with releasing a fish, our lines were dangling in the water and fish grabbed our flies. You can lose a rod and reel doing that. We had to be way more deliberate! You also have to coordinate your casting to avoid nasty tangles. We just say casting. That helps a lot!
Time to get out there. Water temperatures are excellent and they will continue to drop. You may catch a fish of a lifetime.
A modified size 14 Flashaback Pheasant Tail. Red Bead and biot legs.
Hawkins Cheesies Rock









No comments:
Post a Comment