Friday, June 12, 2020

Back to Our Local Lakes

Karen and I are definitely not trout snobs. Don't get me wrong, we love to fly fish for trout but why not target lake whitefish, walleye and pike. They are lots of fun to catch. When the conditions are right, we move into 5 feet of water and sight fish! That is an excellent challenge.

Yesterday I hooked into two large pike. I lost both, darn.

Remember the hatches at Gull Lake, Pine Lake and Sylvan Lake are very typical of all lakes in Central Alberta. I am looking forward to the hexagenia hatch on Sylvan Lake too. I bet the walleye, pike and whitefish gorge on them.

Chironomids and bloodworm larva have been getting decent action.

The one downside at times can be the pressure of fishermen. I am encouraging everybody to put the fish back. Our fisheries have a lot of pressure. There are not limitless fish in our lakes and there has to be some sense of balance. Unfortunately many fisherman do not understand that very delicate balance. We also do not have the manpower with our enforcement officers to ensure everyone is doing it right. Remember just because we can retain fish, it does not mean we should.












Yep, walleye on bloodworm imitations!



Can you see the whitefish coming to the fly?





No comments: