Sunday, October 24, 2021

Ice Minnows for Forage Fish Rich Lakes and Ponds



I love Ice Minnows! They are so simple to tie. A black marabou tail and then silver chenille or brill for the body! We have several excellent lakes/ponds that have forage fish. A great example is Kerbes Pond east of Red Deer. The rainbows, browns and tigers will cruise the shallows looking for forage fish to munch down. I learned about ice minnows from Bob Morenski. He is the originator of this delightful pattern. I have tied up this great little pattern as a straight streamer, balanced and just on a jig hook like the size 12 examples above. I have had moments when fishing right along weed lines and in the shallows where my ice minnow is only 6 inches below my strike indicator. Crazy but it works.

I also use ice minnows to catch walleye and whitefish!

My favourite moments are fishing along weed lines for big brown trout who are herding minnows. Take a look at this short video of my buddy Phil Rowley fly fishing the shallows for big browns!











 

No comments: