Thursday, September 15, 2022

Flashbacks Work Great When Trout Are Slashing at Boatmen and Backswimmers


I love fly fishing with Flashback Pheasant Tails. I do make a few minor changes to the pattern during boatmen/backswimmer time. I add biot wings wings and I use red or rainbow beads. Easy to tie and they are fish catchers. I usually tie on two flashbacks; one size 12 and one size 14 on a 12 foot leader, tying the smaller flashback at the point just 18 inches from the larger flashback. I cast at trout I can see because of a rise. I usually use a strip, strip, pause cadence with my floating or midge tip line. If I do not see a slashing trout, I fan cast. I usually countdown 5 to 10 seconds before retrieving. There are times that the trout will hook up on the drop. That happened 4 times to me yesterday.

There are certainly many great boatmen patterns out there! I am amazed how well Flashback Pheasant Tails do work during boatmen/backswimmer time.


 

No comments: