Saturday, August 22, 2026

LR Boatman and Rinse and Repeat-2 Excellent Backswimmer Patterns


LR Boatman (Les Robinson)


Rinse and Repeat (Phil Rowley)


I have just finished tying a handful of 2 backswimmer patterns that I enjoy fly fishing late in August and through the fall. Les Robinson came up with the RL Boatman.  It is easy to tie and the trout respond favourably to it! The Rinse and Repeat. is a Phil Rowley pattern that includes a red bead so it can be fished below the surface. I always have a handful of these 2 patterns in my fly box. Notice that on the Rinse and Repeat pattern, there is a dab of UV resin on the tip of the legs. It makes the legs quite animated in the water! Phil likes using black sulky to make the distinctive black stripe of a backswimmer, I just use a fine magic marker!












 

No comments: