Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Are There Rainbows in the Red Deer River?


Are there rainbow trout in the Red Deer River? Yes there are, not a large population but there are some. My buddy Colin and I got out this morning. We saw some risers. After catching several rocky mountain whitefish, I connected with a trout that I thought was a brown. Surprise it was a rainbow. I have seen some pictures of rainbows and even a cutthroat below the spillway in the tailwater of the Dickson Dam that have been sent to me. Today I actually caught one. I suspect that these rainbows are escapees from a locally stocked trout pond, like Hansen's Reservoir in Eckville. The reservoir is connected to a small creek that gets to the Medicine River and then on to the Red Deer River. Just speculation but a pleasant surprise. The rocky mountain whites continue to supply plenty of excellent fly fishing with nymphs. If you head out in the evening, you have a chance of catching a brown trout on a dry fly.

Lots of tricos and blue winged olives on the water. Hoppers were everywhere along the river banks too!





That is a sizeable rocky mountain whitefish! Well done Colin!

 

No comments: