Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Another Chinook? Better Get Out on the Water!




10 C in mid December is just crazy but we do live in Alberta where chinooks can appear at any time. Warm air was definitely racing over our Eastern Slopes today. The unseasonably warm weather, allowed me to get out to the tailwater of the Red Deer River. I allowed myself a few hours to fly fish and I wanted to try and catch some walleye. My expectations are quite low this time of the year. Even though the water in the first 5 km below the Dickson Dam are usually open most of the year, the water is cold and the fish are lethargic!

Well I tied on a small minnow pattern and I was rewarded with several walleye. The eagles, geese and ducks were definitely enjoying the crazy warm day. I even saw two hawks on my way home.

The Red Deer River is open until the end of February so you can definitely enjoy some winter fly fishing.


Chinook Arch






A little balanced minnow got the attention of the walleye!

 

No comments: