Saturday, June 8, 2024

Rainbow Warriors and Frenchies for Our Rivers


It is a rainy Saturday morning and I needed to top up a few fly patterns for rivers. Well my two "GO TO" river nymphs are Rainbow Warriors and Frenchies. Lance Egan is the originator of both patterns. Both easy to tie. They are both effective on the Red Deer River and many of our Eastern Slopes rivers which open next Saturday. I find that brown trout and rocky mountain whitefish love both of these patterns as do cutthroat! I like to tie them small, size 16 and size 14. I do modify the rainbow warrior slightly by using a rainbow bead although the original with a silver bead is quite effective too! You can change the hot spot collar colour on Frenchies too. Orange is a popular colour as well for the collar! I stick with the pink ice dub colour.

Be sure to tie some of these up for your favourite rivers!





 

No comments: