Thursday, May 30, 2024

Damsels


A few days back, Warren was launching his pontoon boat at West Lake. He saw a damsel migrating to shore to climb up in the reeds and transform into an adult. Karen and I tucked that little moment into our memory banks. Yesterday, I saw two damsel nymphs swimming just below the surface. They were migrating to shore. At that point, I took off my blobs and changed up. I lengthened my leader to about 15 feet, took off my strike indicator and tied on two damsel nymphs. I started to fan cast because trout were definitely near the surface. It took about 20 minutes before I got my first take but the strike was hard and vicious. The trout was several pounds and the tussle was impressive. In the next 45 minutes I was lucky enough to connect with 3 more trout doing this. At the same time, Karen was indicator fly fishing with blobs. She was connecting too!

I love casting and retrieving. What I should have done is set up a bit closer to shore. The reason is that the damsels are heading to shore to transform into adults. Yesterday the weather was quite unsettled in the afternoon. We had just 3 hours out but it was so interesting.




One of My Favourite Short Videos of Brown Trout Eating Damsel Adults












 

No comments: