Saturday, May 25, 2024

Tiny Chironomids-What to do?


Karen and I got out to West Lake yesterday. What a beautiful day. We arrived about 11 am. The chironomid fishing was outstanding for the first 90 minutes using a Rusty Nail (Chromie with a mahogany rib). Then the action slowed down. Out throat samples were quite amazing. Teeny tiny chironomids and I mean small. There must have been an enormous hatch going on because every trout was on them. I don't have anything that would match these mini me's so Karen and I decided to fly fish with blobs. Then we started to catch fish again. We think that the fish were simply straining these tiny morsels. That means the trout were swimming around with their mouth open and eating. 

It was awesome to talk to other fly fishers. In this case, sorting out depth and what presentation works was key to success!

Everyday is different and it makes the fly fishing interesting!









 

No comments: