Friday, October 15, 2021

Wintery Day in the West Country Fly Fishing for West Slope Cuttthroat Trout


Well the weather forecast looked good so a dash to fly fish for west slope cutthroat trout was in order. The open season is down to the last two weeks! I had my snow tires on and I was glad once we entered the eastern slopes. I always take my time driving the backroads, especially when they are icy! A few hours after leaving Red Deer we trudged through the snow to find some west slope cutts! It was -5C but the quickly forming chinook arch told us that we were going to get warm air real soon. The cutthroat were quite active today but we did have to fly fish with size 18 red brassies and Poison Tungs. The key is to get your fly as close to the bottom as possible then your chances of a hook up are very good!

As the chinook arch formed, the wind started to blow. I mean the wind was howling! We had to be quite deliberate with our casts to avoid a nasty tangle. The ever increasing wind cut our day a bit short but we had a lot of success in the 4 hours that we fly fished.

I also pre tie 5 or 6 sets ups back home in Red Deer. That makes it a lot easier at the water to get set up without freezing fingers. 

We all had an awesome day.















Colin Allison photo


Colin Allison photo


Colin Allison photo









 

No comments: