Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Glorious Fall Fly Fishing in Central Alberta


The last few days have been special. Fall colours have been glorious the last 10 days in Central Alberta. If you have been out on the water, you probably have experienced decent fly fishing! Water temperatures have been close to 50F, and if you have been lucky water boatmen and backswimmers have made the trout quite active!

Yesterday Karen and I spent our time at Fish and Game Lake (West Lake) casting and retrieving backswimmers. Throat sample told Karen and I that the trout were feeding on daphnia and immature boatmen. Karen fished with blobs and micro leeches while I was casting and retrieving. I was doing very well while Karen was getting the occasional hook up.

My set up was a floating line with a weighted backswimmer 12 feet away with a floating backswimmer on the point about 4 more feet back. The weighted backswimmer made the floater dive. The hits were hard.

Today I spent some time at Boulder Lake near Blackfalds. My buddy Rick was there. He was doing well with a small Tokaryk Special while I was using my Bubba Gump Shrimp. I managed to land two rainbows in the 16 inch category! We both were waiting for the boatmen action to heat up. Well a chinnok was right over head and the wind was blowing quite hard so there were few risers. I did hear that Boulder was restocked just recently!

The weather will cool in the coming days but the fly fishing should be outstanding. I hope you can get out!







Boulder Lake under a Chinook Arch





Bower Ponds

 

No comments: