Several weeks ago, I got a text from a friend. It had one word, "Drakes." I loaded up that evening and when I got to the river, it was an amazing sight to see. Thousands of spinners bouncing up and down just over the water and duns popping up everywhere. The trout were on it too! I quickly rigged up and hustled down to the river. Before I started to fly fish, I just took a moment to watch the amazing number of brown drakes. It was nature at its best. Brown drakes are large and our local trout know a good thing when they see it! It took me a while to hook a trout! Several trout were sipping the brown drakes down. It was close to dusk.
I did have a flashback of past brown drake hatches right in town on the Red Deer River. I have caught my largest Red Deer River browns on a brown drake pattern. Close to dusk or on overcast days, you can experience a brown drake hatch! It is one of those hatches that you will love.







No comments:
Post a Comment