Friday, October 11, 2019

Becoming One with the Walleye


Well I wanted to try and get some underwater shots of walleye today. I waited until the mercury crawled up past the freezing mark. Of course I had to catch some walleye. The low light in the autumn months can make for some cool photos. The fly fishing this afternoon was excellent. I used Dave Green's Candy Corn for most of the 4 hours that I was out! One fellow was having excellent success casting and retrieving. I was jigging my fly below an indicator. The strikes can be soft. The only downside to my day was getting my camera in the water. It is a waterproof lumix camera made by Panasonic. My arm gets wet and after 4 hours in the water I have to call it so I can warm up. The results are pretty decent too!







2 comments:

Flylife83 said...

How would you fish this fly. Under an indicator, dead drift? Sorry Im a noob

Anonymous said...

You can do both Flylife83. The key is depth, get your fly down to the fish. Use spit shot or heavily weighted flies. Use an indicator and set on anything out of the ordinary and without an indicator, pay close attention to your fly line in the water. Euro nymphers use a colourful bunge (slinky like) connection before their leader to see strikes. Try to avoid drag by high sticking (keep your fly line off of the water) or mending at the appropriate times.

In the summer, a hopper with a weighted dropper is a great choice on your cutthroat rivers.