Sunday, February 21, 2021

Walleye Fly Fishing on the Red Deer River in February, Why Not!


The weatherman was finally RIGHT! Warm air spilled over the Eastern Slopes last night and we woke up to a chinook! Doug and I decided that a dash to Red Deer River was in order. Just below Gleniffer Dam, the water on the Red Deer River remains mostly ice free for several miles downstream. I have even floated this section of the RDR in February!

Just a heads up: The Red Deer River closes to fishing on March 1st until May 15th. You also have to be dressed for the weather and be aware of ice shelves in places.

I was fortunate enough to land a walleye. We had several grabs at our flies. Some so soft it was hard to tell if it was a take or not! Set the hook on everything!

Well I managed to trip and get wet today. I caught a rock with my wading boots. That ended my fly fishing after 3 hours out on the water. My arms and coat were soaked.

Doug and I were glad to get outside. Good therapy for this pandemic!


Tighten up the slack buddy!




 

No comments: