Thursday, September 30, 2021

Red Deer River Under a Windy Chinook Arch


Oh man was it windy today on the Red Deer River. Warm air was spilling down the eastern slopes of the rocky mountains and a very well defined chinook arch could be seen from my house in Red Deer.

I love fly fishing the Red Deer River. The river is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to tangle with. My brain said walleye and rocky mountain whitefish and as it turned out it was walleye, a brown trout and a very large river pike. By the way, I do not target brown trout this time of the year. It was an inadvertent catch. Browns should be in spawning mode.

I had to time my casts between wind gusts but that warm air sure made the day comfortable. I used a floating line and a balanced minnow pattern. It worked great. Some of the takes were so soft, it was hard to tell. I have always learned to set on anything that remotely might be a grab!

It is a great tine to get out on the water. Rivers and lakes are in great shape and the fish are hungry!














 

No comments: