Monday, July 3, 2023

Are You a Hatch Chaser? ...I am!


Fly Fishers in Central Alberta are so blessed to have a wide variety of fly fishing opportunities. We are also fortunate to have many classic mayfly hatches on our trout waters. The last few days, Karen and I along with many of our friends have been camping in the west country. It is the Canada Day Long Weekend after all. We always have a great time. 

Caddis, brown drakes, hexagenia, hoppers, green drakes, golden stones, PMDs, and BWOs are showing up. Trout love these hatches and if you are lucky, you may have a day or two of amazing fly fishing! Many of us have our spots. We have done our homework and our fishing journals remind us of when and where some of these fabled hatches might happen. My favourite doesn't start on a specific river until August.

I have encountered several different evening hatches in the last week or so. Browns sipping quietly on caddis in a small deflection under a spruce tree, brown drakes and hexagenia popping with big browns greedily gulping down a big meal. Every fly fishing outing is about moments. Sometimes my friends ask me why I just sit and watch! I tell them that for me, fly fishing is unhurried and it is fun imitating what a trout is eating and then fooling them into taking your imposter! Some of my friends just stare at me blankly when I explain what I do. I laugh!

Fly fishers are protective of their favourite hatches. I can understand their sentiments at times. I love our summers here in Alberta.


Every spot in this picture is a bug! Yes the trout are smacking their lips.





Day time browns smashing dry flies, rocks!















 

No comments: