Friday, July 14, 2023

Early Morning Float on the Red Deer River


The alarm on my phone rang at 3 am. I dragged my sorry backside out of bed and stumbled down to the kitchen to make coffee. Steve picked me up at 3:45 am and we were off to the dam to meet Josh. The golden stone hatch is happening on the Bow River. Hatch chasers get up early to float the Bow River because golden stones are an early morning hatch and the browns and rainbows are looking up! What about the Red Deer River? Well we were floating and casting just after 5 am.  The first thing we saw was the Red Deer River was up in flow, about 80 m3/second. We were casting very large golden stone dry flies that are size 2 and size 4. I had three takes in the first bit of the float. I finally had a very nice brown stay on and I was able to land it! The browns were certainly interested in the large golden stones. Around 9 am, we encountered a brown drake hatch. That was interesting. I usually fish brown drakes in the evening. Both Steve and Josh connected on decent browns and they landed them both. About 9:30 am , PMDs stared to appear on the water. We had several takes on our float. I certainly realized that brown trout are interested in golden stones. I think we would have been more successful if the flow on the Red Deer was not bumped up. The Red Deer River brown trout population seems to be doing very well in the last few years. That is excellent news.



Steve hooks a brown on a brown drake imitation.




Josh landing a brown that was fooled by a brown drake imitation.

 

No comments: