Sunday, December 11, 2022

Evan Ritchie Has Passed Away


We have lost one of the original leaders of the Central Alberta Fly Tying Club last night! Our dear friend, teacher and mentor; Evan Ritchie has passed away. Evan was a mentor to many of us as we learned to tie flies under his guidance. Evan for many years spearheaded the club. When Karen and I started to tie flies and get involved in the group, Evan patiently taught us what to do. I do remember years where he taught every single session for the club. 

Evan invited Karen and I over to his home many a time. His wife, Sharon, often would have some delightful treat to share as we visited. Evan would give us tying material that could not be found anywhere. Evan was a generous man.

Last year, Evan passed along his tying binder for the club to me. It will have a special place in my fly tying  reference section. I will definitely take the time to pick out some of his favourites and share the fly tying patterns with the club.

Evan also continued to teach fly tying to interested fly fishers in the last few years.

We all owe Evan a great deal of gratitude for keeping the club together for so many years. I always enjoyed talking to Evan. He was always an inspiration to me.

Evan, I hope the wind is at your back on a bright sunny day at your favourite corner pool on the Castle River with lots of hungry cutthroat chasing your favourite flies.  Rest in peace! Thank you, you will be missed.








 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rest in peace dear friend. You will be missed

Unknown said...

RIP Evan. I met Evan on the Crowsnest back in the 90s, and he shared some of his patterns with me that I in turn shared with the Northern Lights Fly Fishers.