Tuesday, December 27, 2022

How Do You Seal the Deal?


 Hi Everybody!

I have started to tie up some chironomids for the 2023 fly fishing season. I honestly have been using about a dozen different chironomid patterns. My favourite or perhaps most used pattern was John Kent's, Rusty Nail. I tie them size 12 and 14 mostly! When chromie like chironomids are emerging, this is definitely my "Go To" chironomid.

As I was sealing my chironomids, I wondered what fellow fly tyers were using to coat their chironomids. As you can see from the above picture, I have tried lots of different products. I have noticed several tyers not able to use resins because it bothers them. Resins should be used in well ventilated areas for sure.

My favourite is using Solaraz Bone Dry and then coat it further with Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails. Some guys who tie a lot of chironomids just use layers of Sally Hansens. I have not had any skin issues using Solarez products. Loon Flow, Deer Creek and Canadian Llama Company's Pro Tyer Formulations are all worth considering. At times, I just use Crazy Glue. I guess it is personal preference. 

I am trying to tie up 6-12 flies a day. It is really a time of relaxation. I do know that being in the right frame of mind helps the quality of my flies.

No comments: