Monday, March 27, 2023

What Is Your "Go To " Balanced Leech?

Where did this snow storm come from? Spring weather in Red Deer, so unpredictable. I have been at my tying vice trying to fill in the gaps in my tying kit and as I discovered, there are a lot of gaps! My mind has been visualizing getting back out on the water, so I had better get busy! Blood worms, chironomids, and balanced flies have been on my tying vice lately. 

Last week, Parks Canada opened bookings in their new and improved system to secure backcountry camp sites. Karen and I love backpacking and fly fishing in the National Parks in Alberta. We feel so lucky to have to opportunity to enjoy such a spectacular place. The backcountry since COVID has become popular but 99% of those individuals do not fly fish! We were lucky enough to get several backcountry bookings!

Last night I was tying up some damsel patterns for an upcoming trip and then some balanced flies. I got thinking about what are the flies that are your "confidence" flies. We all have them, me included. I always have a variety of balanced flies but the Vampire Leech (Todd Oishi) and the Bruised Leech (Phil Rowley) seem to be the two that I reach for. I have also been tying up a lot of Tokaryk Specials. The Tokaryk Special was developed for fly fishing in the Parkland Region of Manitoba. I have had great success with this simple little pattern. Oh yes, my friend, Dave Green developed the Candy Corn. Another great pattern that I use not only for trout but also walleye!

What are your "Go To" balanced leeches? If you have time, send me a note and a picture and I will post them. Everyone definitely has their favourites. Me included!

Don't forget that fly tying sessions on Monday night are now over. Be sure to get your fly fishing license from Alberta Relm. Download the APP for your phone RIGHT HERE! That way you will always have your fishing license on your phone, unless you are over 65 years of age.

...and now it is time to reach for my snow shovel! ...sigh!














 

No comments: