Thursday, September 24, 2026

Boatman and Backswimmer Action Continues


The last two days have been fun! The boatman and backswimmers continue to be on the menu of local trout! I love to cast and retrieve either flashbacks (size 14) or "Rinse and Repeat" patterns. Karen prefers to hang 2 flashbacks about 2-3 feet below a strike indicator and let the trout come to her flies although Karen will set up where she sees trout!

I have used a clear intermediate line, a hover line and a floating line. They have all worked for me. Two days ago, the intermediate line was better for me and today I had better success with a hover line. The conditions seemed almost identical.  An intermediate line sinks at 2 inches per second and a hover line sinks at about 1 inch per second! Water temperature was 57F with light wind. The strikes when you cast and retrieve are hard!

The action is not continuous but when it is happening your fly line is going to go tight a lot! Today it was mostly water boatman. They were landing in our boat constantly! When the boatman hit the water, it is like someone rang the dinner bell. The only frustrating moments occur when you see a trout moving just below the surface but you are not exactly sure in what direction! I like to cast and retrieve so I guess wrong lots and Karen's idea of waiting for the trout to come by her flashbacks works great. 

Get out there when you can. 



A Flashback


Boatman


Backswimmer











 

No comments: