Sunday, September 13, 2026

Freshwater Conservation Canada's Flyathon was a Big Success


Yesterday, Freshwater Conservation Canada (formerly Trout Unlimited Canada), held their first ever Flyathon. A Flyathon includes a 5 km walk or run and fly fishing on a stretch of water. Participants are asked to get sponsors to donate to FCC as part of the event. Well Karen, Doug and I are supporters of FCC so we entered the event! The three of us raised close to $900 for Freshwater Conservation programs. A big thanks to those who made a contribution.  These programs include water restoration projects and the annual Canal Fish Rescue program (along with many more projects).

There were almost 2 dozen who entered. Karen, Doug and I knew we had to run or walk to the turn around spot down by Little Chief Park. Everyone formed up at Capstone right here in Red Deer. All three of us decided to wear waders because we wanted to get into the Red Deer River. Karen dry fly fished, Doug nymphed and I swung streamers on an intermediate line. The 2.5 km run to the mandatory turn around spot was hot. Carrying a fly rod, kit and wearing waders made the running a bit awkward. Karen and I were the first two to the turn around spot at Little Chief Park. That is also where we stepped into the river to start fly fishing.

Doug and Karen really worked the water with their flies but did not get the attention of the fish. I was more fortunate. I was casting black Slumpbusters on an intermediate line. I connected with 9 goldeye and managed to land 7 of them. I was surprised at my success although I did have a feeling that streamer fishing was a great idea. One of the goldeye I landed was around 16 inches and I ended up winning the prize for the largest landed fish!

We had 2.5 hours to complete the run/walk and fly fish. Once we made it back to the finish line, we reported in. You had to have photo evidence of your success. Thanks to Karen, I was able to substantiate what I caught!

All the participants ended up back at Troubled Monk Brewery where we celebrated the event. Kate Mairs at FCC did an excellent job organizing the event. Bo's Sandwiches supplied great food as well.

The most important part was the participants raised around $8000. That in itself made me smile.

For the inaugural Flyathon, it is the start of many more. Well done Freshwater Conservation Canada.








 

No comments: