Friday, April 29, 2022

Farewell to Our Dear Friend, Bernie Peet


It is with a very heavy heart that I share with you the passing of our dear friend Bernie Peet at the age of 72 on Wednesday April 20th. Bernie lost his battle with COVID that was complicated by pneumonia! Bernie passed away back home in England. Bernie wanted to move back to be close to his family! He and his wife, Cathy, were just getting settled after relocating from Lacombe.

Bernie's close friend Stuart McKie shared the devastating news with us just a few days back! It brought tears to both Karen and I! We were on the road fly fishing in Washington State. 

Stuart had these thoughts about Bernie:

Bernie had a heart of gold. I first met him when I started working for Alberta Pork and was introduced to someone I thought was just another smarty-pants Englishman. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Our friendship flourished as he mentored me through my fledgling career change, but particularly through our common love of fly-fishing and Scotch. Along with our wives, we spent some fantastic times, eating, drinking and most importantly, fishing. He was also responsible for introducing me to fly-tying. The Scottish in me was excited by the prospect of saving hundreds over bought flies.


Bernie was more of a big brother than just a friend and I will miss him and the many great trips we will not now have. Rest well, old pal! 


I have so many fond memories of Bernie and Cathy! Bernie was a regular at our fly tying club and we shared a boat many a time in the Parkland Region of Manitoba!

Bernie was a passionate fly fisher and fly tyer! Bernie wanted his fly rod, line, leader and hand made flies to be just perfect. I always admired his flies and they definitely had a "British" flavour to them. If you watched Bernie fly fish, he wanted to be methodical and that often resulted in his success.

I could always count on Bernie to conduct a fly tying workshop for our club each year! His presentations were outstanding, creative and always well thought out! I do remember the time Bernie forgot his tying vice for his presentation. He used my old Thompson vice, and he was aghast at its quality. It made for a humorous evening!

Bernie loved attending workshops presented by Phil Rowley. I am sure he did not miss any of the 11 workshops Phil did in Central Alberta! Phil was quite sad about the passing of Bernie. Phil and Bernie planned to go to a Liverpool soccer game together in the near future. 

Bernie became a legend in our group that regularly went to Manitoba to fly fish the Parkland Region. His story telling was hilarious. Many a yarn will live on with those of us who heard them. Bernie was involved in the pork industry. He travelled the world educating others about pork! I do remember Bernie volunteered to cook pork tenderloin on the barbecue for a group of us at Arrow Lake Lodge in Manitoba. He wanted that tenderloin to be perfect. His eyes narrowed when he found out the tenderloin was from Costco. The tenderloin was perfect but Bernie couldn't believe he just cooked up Costco pork!

Manitoba was also the place we named 12 feet of water, "Bernie Water!" You see, Bernie always loved to chironomid fly fish in 12 feet of water. To this day, many of us still use this figure of speech! If you hear someone say they were fishing in "Bernie Water," you know the chironomid is 12 feet down!

I can still picture Bernie tangling with a big tiger trout at Twin Lakes in Manitoba. Bernie was fly fishing with his favourite water boatmen fly. The tiger trout could not resist his offering and Bernie was having an excellent afternoon! I can still see that big smile and Bernie talking to himself about not messing this up!

Socializing with Bernie and Cathy was always fun! Bernie rarely missed Pub Night. I do remember one evening where I am sure Bernie tried every scotch on my dining room table. I laughed when he said, "I just need to put that scotch on my tongue."  Pretty sure Cathy drove him home that night!

It is very sobering to lose Bernie. He was definitely an original and so likeable. I know that so many of us will miss Bernie. I wish I could give him one last hug! I will definitely raise a glass of quality scotch in his memory. Not just any scotch will do!








You could always find Bernie and his close friend, Stuart, in a boat together!






















 

6 comments:

Doc Bill said...

In the too little time I'd spent with Bernie, yes, everything that's been said is spot on- a true gentleman who taught us much... passionate and skilled in a sport we all love. So in two words ...well remembered.

Unknown said...

I was on Kitchen duty with Bernie at Arrow Lake Lodge and remember his tenderloin instructions. At first I thought he was a bit of a know- it all, but soon realized that in the case of pork, he actually did know it all. I also remember Bernie, on new knees, making his way down the school hallway, so enthused to get to tying flies. A fine gentleman.

Rick said...

I will fondly remember Bernie from our first fly tying club trip to the parklands of Manitoba and the many club tying sessions. A giving gentleman and always eager to discuss anything fly fishing. We had many conversations on the English styles of fishing still waters and the corresponding flies that went with them and he always seemed to have a copy of Total Flyfisher magazine on hand which we both enjoyed. The flies he demonstrated for our club shine a little brighter in my collection.

Shannon said...

I have fond memories of fishing, drinking scotch and enjoying great food with Bernie. He sold me his green inflatable boat setup that I used for years after. He was such a kind person, he once tied me a bunch of chironomid patterns to start me off fly fishing, great ones, not like the misfit flies Stuart would donate. To this day I always do a Bernie scotch nosing when enjoying a dram. My deepest condolences to his wife Cathy and all of his friends and family. Rest In Peace my friend.

Anonymous said...

Many fine words have been about Bernie; all of them are true. He was a man of deep convictions, not only in his professional life but also in his personal life. His passion of fly fishing wasn’t only limited to catching fish but also creating fly patterns that represented his English heritage. He was a mentor on and off the water always willing to pass on his knowledge of fly fishing and fly tying to all. I had the privilege to not only fish with him but also learn from him. Above all, he was a true friend. Tight lines Bernie.

Colton said...

He was such a nice old gentleman, he'll be truly missed.