Sunday, July 3, 2022

Chasing Mayfly Hatches


Karen and I were out in the west country camping with family and friends the past several days. There was very little moving water that was fishable. We did take our grandkids out for a few hours but the lousy weather put a damper on things. I was lucky enough to walk along a creek at dusk. I was hoping to see some mayflies popping and possibly some hungry trout. The creek had lots of caddis on the surface but no trout were on them. I kept up my search. The visibility in the water was very low as were my expectations. I came around a bend and saw some brown drakes. Not many but enough to possibly get the attention of some trout. After some bush bashing, I found several risers. I was rather surprised. I rigged up with beefy tippet and a brown drake imposter. The trout were greedily slurping down every brown drake. It did not take long to connect with a number of brown trout and some rocky mountain white fish. The very low visibility did not deter these fish.  What a Canada Day treat!















 

No comments: