Saturday, July 23, 2022

Hidden Lake Restoration Project


Karen and I took a walk one evening to Hidden Lake not too far from where we were camping in the backcountry. Hidden Lake is located in a beautiful valley. It once was teaming with brook trout. Rotenone was used by Parks Canada to kill off the brook trout and plant pure strain west slope cutthroat. It is part of their plan to try and bring back a more natural balance. I always wonder what the logic is in these expensive projects. I have heard the arguments. Last year, Parks Canada did the same thing to Katharyn Lake in Banff National Park. In some cases, I believe the plan is to kill off lakes and leave them sterile.
I know many backcountry fly fishers who used to love fly fishing Katharyn Lake to kill off the cutthroat that they planted many years ago but they were a strain not native to the area.

What I do not understand is that the outflow creeks will still have brook trout in it. It will be difficult to completely eliminate the brook trout! I certainly understand that brook trout can out compete west slopes and can take over a lake or creek.

I hope the project works. I am honestly not a big fan of the project but I need to be open enough to see how this project evolves.

Hidden Lake is a spectacular place. It is a 10 km hike. Maybe at some point we can enjoy catching native west slopes in the lake.




 

No comments: