Monday, July 4, 2022

Have You Ever Been Obsessed With Trying to Catch a Specific Trout?


Refusal! Arg! Change flies! More importantly get the presentation right! 

I found a brown trout a few days back that I had tried to catch but I was denied. I was camping not too far from the wily brown so I was able to try and catch him several times. I wanted to fool this fussy brown with a dry fly! Our last evening camping, everyone knew what I was up to. I got my waders on and trudged through the high grass and trees. The brown would occasionally rise to small bugs. I did see some BWOs when it was overcast. There was caddis on the water too! I decided on a size 16 elk hair caddis with an olive body. The wings on the caddis were light and there were spinners everywhere. There was a well beaten path by me to where this smart trout hung out!

One of the things I have learned about browns is to just watch and see what is going on. I do not cast unless I know the brown is actively feeding. I got to my spot and stood slightly behind the location. It was getting dusky and the sun just slipped over the horizon.

The brown started to feed but sporadically. Just wait I thought! Then his rhythm of feeding started to increase. I could see where to cast. It has to be accurate and not sloppy. My third cast, the brown hammered my elk hair caddis. Redemption!

Karen heard all of the commotion while walking with Pepper our elkhound and came to see. She laughed at my persistence. She took a quick picture. I headed back to camp to sit by the fire with the gang! 








 

No comments: