Saturday, August 24, 2019

More Backcountry Fly Fishing with the Young Guys




It was not in the plan. An extra spot was available to go back into the mountains to chase brookies and cutthroat! I had to rearrange a few things so I could go. Why not!

I have fished with Steve and Pat before. They are fit and are great hikers and campers who are always well prepared. Hayden came along and he is a passionate fly fisher who loves the backcountry too! The guys are the 30s crowd and me Old Age Security is on the horizon. No matter, I do not mind being called Old Man. I am young at heart and fit!

The young guns carried a pile of camera gear with them. They hopped to get great shots of the cutthroat we were chasing. I am sure that the extra weight they slogged over three mountain passes was worth the sweat equity. 

We hit the high country. Every small brook and pond was fished. They all had small brookies or cutthroat! What great fun!

Well after negotiating two mountain passes, we camped and fished a tiny stream that was full of brookies and cutthroat. The next morning we headed for the big prize, a return to 7400 and beautifully coloured cutthroat trout! After slogging up a third mountain pass, we did a short climb up over a rocky ledge and a few minutes later we made it to our goal. The fishing was amazing. All of these young fellas are excellent rods and know what they are doing! It was fun to watch their glass rods cast their chernobyls into the lake and then watch an explosive strike or a slow motion sip of their foam fly!

I was more interested in exploring parts of the lake I have not been able to visit. I was able to do that. The young fellas did the same. The fishing was exceptional all day. We lucked out with the big blue sky although wind motored down the lake at times. No matter!

We stayed late. When it was time to head back to our base, we took our time though the rocky ledges before hitting the main trail.

We headed to the truck the next day and I had my first poutine. I was sceptical about eating it but it was tasty.

A quick trip to Cochrane or should I say Tundra Town to drop off Hayden and Pat then Steve drove us back to Red Deer. 

Great trip! The guys are hilarious and lots of fun to hang out with. 










No water bottle, use your rod tube!

















No comments: