Friday, May 8, 2020

An Unusual Occurrence-Daphnia Bait Ball!


Well you do not see that every day. Karen and I were out fishing last evening, so was Eugene and Jecinda. I spotted what looked like some mud on the lake. I figured someone had lifted their anquor and the mud was drifting. Wrong! It was a daphnia bait ball that was drifting and moving very slowly! I told Karen to cast into the daphnia with her micro leech. It barely settled and she had a rainbow. She repeated that several times. It was now Eugene and Jecinda's turn to cast into the bait ball of daphnia. Same results. I took a throat sample earlier in the day and noted the daphnia. Obviously, the trout just swim through the ball of daphnia with their mouth open and strain them out! Very cool. The weird part is that this bait ball was only in 7 feet of water. I am sure that the ball of daphnia moved all over the pot hole lake we were fly fishing. Very interesting. I heard Rick on shore say, it is a good strategy to cast where there is food. We all agree!








No comments: