Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Sunny Afternoon Escape


The fly fishing season is quickly winding down. It is hard to believe that winter has arrived so early! That beautiful fall weather made us forget what lies ahead. When the wintery weather did arrive, it was and still is a bit of a shock to the body!

Yesterday afternoon, the weather allowed me to dash out to the Red Deer River below the dam to fly fish for walleye. The mercury grudgingly crawled up just above zero. I was glad that it was at least 1 maybe 2C. The long range weather forecast suggested I better not let this sunny afternoon slip by without getting my waders on and chasing walleye.

It was even warm enough that my guides were not icing up. Bonus!

The afternoon was sunny and it almost felt warm although there always seems to be a chill in the air! I put on a candy corn balanced fly about 8 feet down and let it slowly drift in the current. The takes were soft. I had to pay attention. If my indicator paused, it may have been a walleye. Sometimes a tiny  bump was the take. I switched up and tried a ruby eyed ice minnow, a ruby eyed bruised leech and a vampire leech. All of these patterns have been excellent walleye flies. Today, the Candy Corn was the best fly followed by the Ruby Eyed Ice Minnow.

I had to dash home to get my flu shot later in the afternoon. With this COVID-19 pandemic, it was a wise choice for me. I got my shot at Safeway and then carried on with my shopping.




Candy Corn-Dave Green Originator


Vampire Leech-Todd Oishi Originator


Bruised Leech- Phil Rowley Originator


Ice Minnow-Bob Morensky Originator


 

No comments: