Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Vampire Leech, Start Using a jig Hook!

I love the Vampire Leech. It was developed by Todd Oishi. He has made a hook adjustment that he feels makes this great pattern even better! He is now using jig hooks! Take a look!



Vampire Leech (Todd Oishi originator)

Hook: Size 8-12 jig hook (this is size 8)
Bead: Slotted Chartreuse Tungsten-size to match hook
Thread: UTC 70 denier
Tail: Marabou, black with three strands of pearl flashabou
Body: Dyed UV Polar Chenille, Black UV (this is medium) 



From Facebook, Stillwaters Page


...from Todd Oishi


I highly recommend jig hooks for this pattern!!!!

When I originally created the Vampire Leech fly pattern, I used standard hooks and brass beads (which were more commonly found in those days), but since that time I’ve been experimenting and now exclusively use the Vampire Leech tied on Hanak 450BL Jig Hooks with Slotted Tungsten beads for the past 8 years with far greater success than the standard hooks and brass beads (for both my competition and recreational angling).

The jig hooks make the point of the pattern point upwards, which reduces snagging on the bottom and improves my hook set and landing ratio.

I’ve kept the jig aspect a secret for a long time, as it was that effective and improved my teams’ results at past championships.

The tungsten adds far more action when stripping and pausing to all it sink.its nit ideal for shallow water presentations unless you’re stripping it rapidly.

I also add 3 strands of flash to each side of the tail, as it adds to the pattern’s overall appeal and visibility when stripping at greater depths and under low light conditions.

I have dozens of Vampire Leeches ties on standard hooks that I won’t use during any competitions, and tend to give those flies to my fishing companions for recreation angling and as gifts.

Hope this helps...


Watch Todd tie a Vampire Leech! Do tie them on jig hooks with tungsten beads!


No comments: