Monday, July 26, 2021

Getting the Drift Right


Karen and I just got home from camping for 5 days. We managed to get a few days out on the river. It is the busy season so we decided to go early and be satisfied with fishing a short stretch of water. It was extremely cool in the morning as we bumped our way down the gravel. We decided to do a short bush bash into a few runs. We have been to this spot in years past and we hoped it would have a few fish to tangle with.

Karen tied on an orange crush chernobyl. She connected with some cutthroat right away. We did get several refusals. We tried several different dry flies and then I switched it up to nymphing. The current was messing with my drift and I was not fishing the spot I wanted to. Well I decided to scramble up on a log jam on the other side of the river and that seemed to help a lot! I finally got the drift I wanted with very little drag. I connected with several decent cutts. It was a good lesson learned to look at where you set up to get the best possible drift.

We often just set up at the top of pool and get after it! Taking the time to watch the river and working from the bottom to the top of a run is time well spent!












 

No comments: