Saturday, May 29, 2021

Shifting to Shrimp


Shrimp is not my favourite food item to fly fish with BUT when the trout are keying in on this source of food, I better change my tactics.

I have been starting my day out fishing shallow looking for trout that are looking for shrimp. I then start moving into deeper water. I often try a blood worm just off of the bottom. I have been keeping an eye out for chironomids and I have encountered some light hatches. The trout then seem to dine on them for a few short period of time.

Some of my regular fly fishing buddies are also using micro leeches others are casting and retrieving leech patterns. An olive coloured flashback or a baby damsel can be quite productive this time of the year too!

Try using a long leader (18 feet) and count down to try different depths and retrieve speeds. Indicator fishing can be excellent too. Sometimes, fishing along edges can be very productive.




A trout that is dining on a variety of food items.










 

No comments: