Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Micro Leeches-Glen's Leech

Virtual Fly Tying

I love fly fishing micro leeches. Over the course of the next several days I will be posting micro leeches. I will be posting several from other fly fishers. If you have a favourite micro leech, please send me a picture and description of your favourites!

I also like to tie micro leeches, balanced.

I fish them every day on lakes. After a chironomid hatch slows on your favourite waters, fish a micro leech, ...sort of  dessert for a fish! Right after ice off, micro leeches can be very effective. They are great patterns in the fall as well! At times, I will fish a chironomid and micro leech at the same time. I have had several great days using this tactic!


Glen's Leech

Thread: UTC red 8/0
Hook: Curved nymph hook sizes 12-16
Bead: Micro mini conehead or red bead, red
Tail: Pine Squirrel
Body: black marabou or ostrich herl
Rib: Red wire, small











Balanced Glen's Leech

Hook: jig hook, sizes 14-18
Pin
Bead: Tungsten red, 7/64ths




 

No comments: