Sunday, December 6, 2020

Tying the Wiggle Worm

 Virtual Fly Tying

Whether you like them or not, Wiggle Worms certainly are fish catchers. Everyone seems to have a style of tying them that they like. Here is my spin on this pattern. I like to use a Czech nymph hook and I use a tungsten orange bead in the middle with 0.015 lead wire on either side. I cover the lead wraps with red thread then I try to segment the wiggle worm material. It has been a very effective pattern for me when nymphing is the best tactic!

Just a small tying note: Do not use crazy glue, it will melt the wiggle worm material. Also I add a small bump of thread at the curve of the hook. This allows me to tie another fly off of tippet attached to the curve of the wiggle worm. The barbless hooks make it tougher to keep a second fly's tippet from falling off! Some fly fishers will add a tag or tie a second fly from the eye of the wiggle worm.


Wiggle Worm

Hook: Czech nymph hook sizes 8-14
Bead: Orange tungsten 7/64ths
Weight: 0.015 lead or equivalent
Thread: UTC Red thread 140 denier /6/0
Body: Wiggle Worm material







No comments: